This large turned wood mortar was made as display piece for the front window of an apothecary. The mortar retains the original painted decoration. The mortar has an inscription on the bottom that reads as follows: "Turned in his lathe by Col. Reuben M Currier about 1850". The mortar has several large cracks due to shrinkage. H: 12.5", Diameter on base: 7.15".